Climbing is not something that comes naturally to me, nor would I claim to be great at it. I’m, just, o.k., but that doesn’t mean I don’t want to get better. I have dreamed of doing big climbs in far off lands, tackled complex problems while bouldering, and pushed myself past my current limitations. At the moment however, my abilities are currently limited. Since climbing outside year round in Minnesota is pretty tough to do, climbing indoors in the next best option. Enter Vertical Endeavors.
With multiple locations in Minnesota (and one in Illinois) Vertical Endeavors is the premiere rock climbing gym. A new gym opened about a year ago in Minneapolis and it’s a fantastic space. It has multiple types of climbing available with 50-60 ft. climbing walls, and a lot bouldering options. For someone like me who is a relative beginner, it’s awesome to be able to try new things and challenge myself one route at a time (routes and problems are changed often). The staff is friendly and helpful, and the space itself is warm and inviting, despite that fact that you’re climbing on face rock.
- Lots of different routes/problems to try.
- Variety for beginners to more experienced climbers.
- Clean, kept up well.
- Good music usually playing while you climb (I’ve never realized how ridiculously soothing it is to climb to classical or jazz music).
- 10 punch card pass. These go on sale, and when they do, buy one! If you’re like me and can’t afford a full membership, the punch card is a good way to go.
- Catch 22: I like that more people are into climbing, but if you can, avoid busy Saturday or Sunday afternoons when there’s a lot of people there and 2 different birthday parties of 8 11-12 years old going at the same time. You’ll spend more time standing around than climbing.
Things I Need to Try
- I’ve never done lead climbing before, this is the perfect place to try.